First and foremost, congratulations for choosing to hold your party or event in a tent rental. There is no better way to get a venue where you want, when you want it, and how you want it. Large tent rentals allow you to find a vacant location of your choice – no longer requiring you to wait or work your event around a banquet hall schedule – and erect a tent based on your exact customizations (type, size, shape, perks, etc.). A tent rental is like a blank canvas when it comes to decorating, too. Such as smart choice!!
So, now that you’ve got your tent, how do you decorate it?
It is wonderful that large tent rentals allow you to have an open space to decorate and organize how you wish. However, that means you must figure out the layout, too, since there is no set area for a dance floor, or dining area, or restrooms, etc.
Depending on the type of event or party you are having, you will need to determine what areas you will need for your guests – and don’t forget the necessities. You will need to do this before you start decorating so you know how to plan the lighting, the décor, etc.
- Are you having a dance floor?
- Do you need a stage?
- Are you having a sit-down dinner or a mingling cocktail party?
- How much seating will you need and where will you put it?
- Will you require a food prep and/or serving area?
These are the things you will want to consider as you begin decorating your tent.
What’s your style?
When it comes to decorating, you want to keep it uniform throughout the tent. Mixing themes and styles could make your party space look a bit confused or discombobulated. Pick your theme or style and stick with it.
There are many to choose from:
- A skyline party. Use tons of white balloons to create the effect of clouds. Use blue backgrounds and fabrics to look like the sky.
- Tropical paradise. Use heaters throughout your tent during cold months and transform your tent to a tropical paradise – carry your guests away to the islands.
- Asian flair. Use paper lanterns and bright colored paper pom-poms to decorate your space.
- A forest fairytale. Use string lights and branches to decorate your tent. Add greenery throughout the venue, including green garland.
- Art space. Why not drape white fabric and use paint splashes to add color?
- Turn a book into life.
- Pick a decade – A fifties diner, the sixties peace and love era, the 70’s disco era, the 80’s neon colors, etc.
- Create a magical candy land. Think Willy Wonka.
- A diamond party with glitter and all things that shimmer.
A style and theme are as unique as you are. So, do a little soul-searching and use your imagination to determine what will give you the effect you are looking for. Make sure you get through this step first to help guide you with the fluidity of the look.
Splashes of color
Tents are great for party places, but they sure don’t offer much in the way of color. That is where your creative side will come in. You can get your color in many forms – actual decorations, lighting, or fabric.
Make it colorful, make it stand out, and make it inviting.
Fabric, fabric, and more fabric
Fabric seems to be a popular thing when it comes to tent rentals. It can create an elegant look for your partying needs. In fact, when fabric is draped throughout the tent, it can almost make you forget that you are even in a tent!
There are several methods to draping fabric:
- Fabric walls. Whether you choose to have sidewalls on your tent or not, you can use fabric to drape down the walls and add a beautiful texture. This method can also be used a backdrop for a main centerpiece of the party, such as a wedding cake or stage area.
- Ceiling drapes with centerpiece. Fabric can be draped from all edges along the circumference of the tent to meet in the middle at a centerpiece. For example, fabric to meet in the middle with a mirror ball, candelabra, chandelier, or floral centerpiece. It creates an eye catching, and even breathtaking, decoration.
- Decorate the poles with fabric. Use fabric to drape around poles that surround the tent. You may simply cover the poles, or drape it from the poles to the center of the tent.
- Create a covered ceiling. Another method for decorating with fabric is to drape it from one side of the tent directly to the other.
Make sure that you incorporate color into your fabric, as well. Layering it with your party colors can transform your tent rental.
Finding the Perfect Lighting for Large Tent Rentals
Lights can be eye-catching or romantic. There can set a mood or increase energy. Here are a few of the most popular lighting methods for tent rentals:
- Candles. Talk about romance! It will depend on the mood you are trying to achieve on whether you should use candles. You can use them as table centerpieces in clusters or in areas surrounding the party area.
- String lights. You can decorate the party area with string lights in a bistro method. This can give your party a soft, backyard garden party
- Tiki torches. Having a luau or tropical party? Tiki torches can give a warm, island feel to any outdoor event.
- Color lighting. Use various lighting techniques to add color or spot lights on white surfaces, the ceiling, or on any focal point within the venue.
Decorations don’t make or break an event, but they sure do add some ooh and ahh factors for guests. It is fun to add a little flair to your tent – especially because it is a wide-open space that you can make your own! So, open that imagination and go for it!